staff
updates
� 10.21.2017
Our new sitewide plot is a go! See THE INQUISITION!
Welcome
Welcome to the new home of Revolutions! Thank you to everyone who's helped us get moved and all our awesome members. <3
credits
Original site concept belongs to Claire and Simon.

Skin and mini-profile coded by MISS TEXAS. at CAUTION. Toggle sidebar is from SubDevo and Custom Forum Structure script is from Black. Site templates by HELLS BELLS at CAUTION.

Dragon Age belongs to Bioware.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

A Restless Soul
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Oct 20 2017, 07:48 PM
played by
years old. . currently . from .
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Date: 3rd Bloomingtide 953
Characters: Brim, Mari
Players: @jax, @Zyah
Notes: Its been Three Months since Brim last ecnountered his estranged wife.
links: Chance meeting and opening old wounds

Brim set his pack down and rolled his bedroll out. It would be another three months before he reached his home, at the other end of the Deep Roads but at least it meant he came here to rest when he wanted some alone time.

Returning to Orzamarr with the miners so they could report to his parents he had gone to the Shaperatte and spoke with the Lord Shaper. He didn't have to do it, but he thought the old man deserved to know his Granddaughter was, well was doing ok apparently and that he had given her the letters.

To be honest he was going to have them deleivered to Kal Shirok, but for some reason he never did. He didn't do it to punish the old man, he had never actually done anything to Brim, all he had done was ask Brim not to make his seperation final, at least for a year. well it was creeping up and once he had the shaperate in his home up and running he would finalise it all.

There was still work to be done, and as long as he returned to the capital twice a year he could live more or less where he wanted. Hiemdhall had moved to Thaig Baraast to set up Brims home, the people there asked him to be the ruler of the Thaig, he refused, instead he instigated a governership. Half with the Stone sense and half with the Cloudgazers. There was one elected Governor and they had three years to govern. After that they stepped down and let someone else take over, but Brim never went for it. He just couldn't.

He was not in the right frame of mind for such a thing and the sickening part, his mother inisted he remain hier to the house. Frankly he would have let his simpering cousin do it. He didn't want anythign to do with those imbeciles. All his mother could do was ask him when he was going to remarry, when he was going to male things final so she could find him a new wife. Brim didn't want a new wife.

He didn't want a new anything, so as soon as everything was setteled and he had stayed for a while, he came back. Out here and found himself in his secret place. he had found it on a map and on all accounts it was an ancient memorial to the Legion of the Dead, them and the Dwarfs who lost thier lives when the First Blight erupted. The dwarves fighting dwarves had been as Orzamarr began to close its gates and riots had broken out.

Taking an ale out he sat with his back againt the wall, raised his bottle to the honoured dead and drank deeply and sat, enjoying his own company and the company of the dead.
PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Oct 22 2017, 10:26 PM
played by Zyah
30 years old. Shaper. currently Married to Brim Helmi. from Orzammar.
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

After leaving the Legion watchtower Mari headed toward the Hole she called home for the last month or so. The hidden cave was close enough to the dwarven outpost for her to gather supplies when she needed but far enough away that it wasn't traveled past often. No one knew of its location, except the dwarf that showed it to her, and Mari felt safe there.

Over the past several months the Shaper traveled the Deep Roads alone. Farin's death left her in a state of limbo, lost and confused. The grief was overwhelming and she ended up wandering the Deep aimlessly while she came to terms with his passing.

It took weeks before she could get past the denial and months before she finally accepted that Farin was gone. And he was gone. Mari witnessed Farin fall to his death into a lava pit. Within seconds he was taken from her by the Stone and for the first time in her life she felt truly alone.

Mari gave up everything to be with Farin. Her life in Orzammar, her family and friends, she sacrificed it all for a love that blinded her to the consequences of her actions. She wasn't angry anymore, sad mainly, but she was slowly moving on. Mari's only uncertainty was if she should return to Orzammar. Would she be welcomed by her grandfather or even be allowed past the gates? Kal-Sharok no longer held any interest to her. It reminded her of Farin and she was looking to move on with her life. She hadn't returned there since his death and she had no intention to.

The Shaper entered the hidden cave and nearly jumped out of her skin when she noticed a figure in the corner of the room. Mari unsheathed her blade in response but then slumped back against the wall in relief when she recognized Brim. "Brim?" She couldn't believe it and she put her hand over chest while her heart steadied and she sheathed her blade. "You scared the hell out of me. I wasn't expecting you here." She tossed her pack to the side and slowly slid down the wall, leaning against it for support.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 07:25 AM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Well, the ancestors had a strange sense of humour didn't they?

Brim turned his head to see Mari reach for her blades then almost drop of a heart attack or something. He had been told of Farins death, his aunt had told him before he left, she had also asked him if he could now find it in his heart to forgive her son.

Brim said he could not, but he was sorry for her loss. In all the ways he was not a typcial Dwarf, in that he was. He would never find it in his heart to forgive Farin no matter what, still the man was dead now so what did it really matter? When Brim went to the stone he would deal with it then.

So given all that Mari was the last person he expected to see here. He thought she might be out in ashes and sackcloth or something. The thought left a bitter taste in his mouth so he swallowed some ale and arched an eyebrow.

"On my way home" he told her "I come here to rest and think, pay respects to the honoured dead and adding some names to it. Glynis, Rylan, Siddonie, Barnie, Gayle, Marisha. Teran, Laurie and Myro" The members of his party who didn't make it back to the stone.

The shaperette had recorded thier names, His house had mourned Glynis and Barnie, Brim had made sure Sid's mother was set for life, not that anything would give her her daughter back. every single one of the families who had lost a loved one had been compensated and brought out of Dust Town into the common district.

Brim took a second bottle from his pack and rolled it across the floor to where Mari was now sitting "What brings you here?"
PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 10:34 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

Mari picked up the offered drink and cradled it in her hands. Staring at the bottle Mari didn't answer Brim right away. What was she supposed to tell him? That she'd been hiding out there for the last month or so while she tried to figure out her life? Mari didn't know if Brim knew about Farin. After his death she sent a letter with one of the Orzammar runners she came across in the Deep. The Shaper didn't know Farin's mother well but she felt obligated to let her know what happened to her son. If Farin's mother shared the news with the rest of the family Mari didn't know and she didn't ask.

"I've been traveling." Mari said vaguely then opened the bottle. After taking a sip she rested her head back against the stone wall and closed her eyes. The last time she saw Brim was in this very spot over three months ago. It had been an emotional meeting, at least for her, but she was glad they were able to talk again and hoped that Brim left with a sense closure. Mari never told Farin she saw Brim or about this place. Not that it mattered, not anymore.

"I finished your journal." Mari told him. "I'm sorry for your loss." She told him quietly. Some of those in his party she knew personally and it saddened her to learn of their passing.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Oct 30 2017, 11:33 AM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Brim could say he was sorry to hear about Mari's loss, but he wasn't not really, he was however sorry she had obviously had a rough time of it, he could tell that by just looking at her. He didn't go and sit with her though, not yet at any rate

Shifting a little he swallowed some ale and focused his gaze on the memorial before him. It was hard, harder then he thought not to go and comfort her, but the last thing she would want would be him anywhere near her. Or so he thought, despite thier meeting a few months ago, Brim had walked away just as angry as he had been all those months ago, but it was not, at least directed at her.

Not anymore.

"I am heading to my home in a a few hours, if you are heading to Orzamarr i can walk some of the way with you, if you like"

Brim glanced at her and ran a hand down his face. It was true he had forgiven her but sometimes it was hard to look at her without seeing...that.

He saw it in his dreams mostly, between what he had walked in on and seeing his friends and family eaten alive by the beasts up top, was it any wonder that he was more, into himself and a little harsher than he had been before.

"Or i could show you the Thaig named for your family, if you like"

PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Nov 5 2017, 10:14 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

The bottle slipped from her grasp and thudded against the stone floor. It surprised her a little that Brim offered to travel with her but she was in shock over his offer to take her to his home. Mari stared at Brim long and hard almost as if she were searching for an answer. Her gaze was sad but she smiled softly at him.

Mari wasn't sure if it was pity that prompted Brim to make his offer but she wanted to believe he was being sincere. It pained her to think that he might not be able to stand her presence. It was understandable if he did. She had betrayed him and broke his heart and though he said he forgave her Mari knew he'd never forget. They were dwarves. They forgot little to nothing such was their way.

The Shaper didn't want to admit she was still running from her troubles but facing her grandfather was not something she was ready to do. But it was also Mari's curiosity that led her to accept Brim's invitation. "If you mean it, I think I would really like to see Thaig Baraast." Her cheeks reddened a little at saying her own name. It was beyond flattering that he named the Thaig after her father's family and for the first time in months her smile was brighter.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Nov 6 2017, 09:38 AM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Brim nodded and getting up he made a small fire and motioned with his head for Mari to come and warm herself. He set a couple of nugs up and sat back down. Brim drapped his arms over his knees and looked at his wife, well soon to be ex wife whatever it was called.

"What you been doing with yerself Mari? Fought any dragons recently?"

Despite everything that had happened he was still quite proud of her for that. Not many could say they had fought a dragon and lived, no matter what thier race. He wondered if she had made any other discoveries or histories.

"We discovered that the family members from that old Thiag we discovered ended up at the surface thaig" He looked at her and smiled a little and winked a bit "You always did have a head for adventure Mari, maybe this would be a new adventure for you huh?"

PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 12:03 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

Mari groaned a little at the mention of the dragon. It surprised her how far and fast news of her being a dragonslayer spread though the Deep. Even the Legion of the Dead commemorated it. "No, no more dragon. If I never see another dragon again I'll be happy." She admitted. To this day she was surprised she even survived the battle. If dwarves dreamed she was sure she'd have nightmares.

Brim told her what he learned of the dwarves that left the Thaig she helped him uncover years ago and it warmed her to learn he found some resolution. "They became surface dwarves?" Mari was a little surprised by that but was glad to hear. It was a much better fate than falling to darkspawn.

"I've just been traveling mainly." Mari shrugged then quickly changed the subject. "So Thaig Baraast... you said surface Thaig? Like as in... on the surface?" Mari's asked with a little apprehension. She was an adventurous dwarf but the surface world was never somewhere she contemplated on going before. That didn't mean she wasn't getting curious about it since Brim obviously seemed okay and he'd been there. "And sure, if that's where you're going then I guess I better get my head around that, huh?" Mari then took a really hefty sip of the ale, one that continued on until she downed the entire thing. She wasn't nervous at the prospect of the trip... not at all, or she tried to convince herself.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Nov 12 2017, 10:25 PM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Brim chckeled to himself and swallowed a large amount of ale then got another two out...actually seeing how Mari had chugged that one he reached in and got something stronger and slid it across to her.

"Yeah your not nervous at all are you"

It wasn't a question, he knew her well enough to know when she was covering her nervousness. He knew Mari better then anyone knew her even now. He thought for a moment and stared back into the fire.

"It covers about an area the size of Kal Hirol and Thaig Caradin." Brim stretched out and opened another bottle "Can see the Sea if you sit on the highest point of it. Course its got Varghast and i think i saw a Phoenix one night." He glanced at her out the corner of his eye and keeping a poker face said "Only real problem we have is the Rats, big grey critters, tasty when cooked too. Taste better then Nugs" He looked at her. His face deadpan.

There were no rats, there were wild Mabari that the dwarfs there had entered some sort of agreement with. The dogs kept the critters and other beasties at bay and they got free food and lodging when they needed somewhere to sleep before going off and doing whatever dogs did.

Mari didn't have to know that yet though, although if she kept looking at him like that then he was not going to be able to keep a straight face. He put the bottle to his lips and drank "No doubt the Shaperate will be opened up and ready when i get back. So you'll be safe...unless the sky decides to fall in on you then well you know, keep falling in it."

Nope no good, her eyes had widened and he snorted his beer, the laugh that came from him was genuine and probably had been long overdue. "I'm sorry i know your...apphrenesive but i couldn't resist i am sorry" But he wasn't not in the slightest. "It covers an area like i said, its underground and overground. On the boarder with Nevarra and Tevinter i believe. Met some local Nevarans who do trade with the surface living Kin. Only reason we dont get classed as cloudgazers and exiled is the money it brings in." Brim looked at his bottle "well that and my .." he was about to say Father in law, seeing as Maris grandfather was as close to it as he was ever likely to get. "your grandfather inisited that the sacrifices made discovering it should not be shunted away because it is a mix of both. Once i got my head over the fact the sky wasnt going to crush me...well you know dealt with it. We have a Legion outpost there so they help out when they aren't doing what they are usually doing"

He looked at her and smirked again and drank some more ale "You dont have to if it makes you that nervous you know, you can always come another time...when you aren't so chicken shit"

He also knew that Mari would never allow anyone to cast her as a chicken, he was having fun at her expense, a little mean maybe but he didn't mean anything nasty by it, he was just trying to lighten the atmosphere a little.
PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 11:16 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

Mari scoffed at Brim's teasing. While he continued to laugh at her expense Mari took another sip of her ale. It had been some time since she tasted a decent brew. "Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up." She muttered with a wry smirk, chuckling as she shook her head. The anxiety of going to the surface was understandable for any dwarf born and raised in the Deep. Mari was a rational dwarf but the surface was not where dwarves were supposed to be!

Brim seemed okay with it though. Listening to him speak Mari couldn't help but notice the change in him. He was a bit more worldly, more open to what was past the gates of Orzammar. But there was more to it than that. It was his overall demeanor and the way he looked at her when he spoke, even in jest. The man she married and the man sitting across from her now was not the same Brim.

He had changed but so had she. Mari smiled faintly at that, unsure if it was a good or bad thing. Somethings however hadn't changed and the Shaper raised her brow at Brim's teasing. He was taunting her to provoke her and Mari knew it. She gave him a look, one that he'd seen plenty times before. "I didn't say I wasn't coming." Mari smirked, "In fact, I am coming with you to Thaig Baraast. I am very curious to see this... surface thaig."

Mari was far more curious than she was nervous. And it would be nice to be in Brim's company again. Within the short time of them being around each other he managed to make her not only smile but also laugh. It was something she hadn't been able to do for awhile and it felt good.

"Besides, the first time you saw the sky you probably soiled your pants." Mari grinned before bringing the lip of the bottle to her lips. "I can hear you now, muttering every curse ever spoken while falling to your knees and kissing the ground." The Shaper chuckled. He could make fun of her nervousness all he wanted. She was pretty damn sure he was nervous as hell when he first set foot above ground. "I still can't believe you went up there."
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 12:42 PM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

"No" he glanced sideways at her "Didn't have time for that cause a big fuck off Varghast was making off wth Sid and eating her"

He shuddered a little at the memory. He had been well aware of the feelings that woman had harboured, she had professed as much. He had told her that was not going to happen. He told her he didn't love her in that way and in part he blamed himself for her going headlong to battle a surface beastie.

"None of us had time for it. Glynis was next, the Phoenix, not one of us heard it. still hear her screams though." He drank deep and turned the nugs "Phoenix's are clever when you think theres one to deal with three or four come out of nowhere, they are born hunters them. Bloodletter certainly had her fill that day"

He rolled his sleeve to show not only a massive scar where a Phoenix had tried to take his arm off but a burn the size of his fist "They spit some sort of corrossive stuff. Nasty it is too" He shook his head a little "anyway the cloudgazers came back...after that then i kissed the stone several times." He prodded the cooking Nugs "i was shown around and found an old book, very old book as it goes the cloudgazer who gave me it said it was found in the Shaperette. It was Sarah's diary. Seems my uncle died several months after arriving there battling darkspawn that had tried to make the place thiers. The Cloudgazers who lived there came to thier aid and thus a joint community sprung up. Sarah re-married a cloudgazer andthe rest i didnt read. Seemed only fitting to name it after your kin, She did all the work after all"

Brim smiled a little and drained his beer "its big, theres still loads left to uncover but Orzamarr is not going to touch it. I made that perfectly clear to the Assembly. I said i would retun to Orzamarr every six months and do what i have to do there, but to be honest, my returns are getting less and less. Every time i go back it feels less and less like my home" Brim got a plate out and put one of the nugs on it and held it out to Mari "one day i am going to stop going back. Nothing to go back for. My friends are there, i dont have anyone there worth going back for" Brim looked at Mari and really looked at her.

Seemed he wasnt the only one that had changed. He did know Mari and he knew that something had changed within her. He wasnt sure what but she had lost that spark. Maybe this trip would, he didn;t know give her that spark again.

"Sarah's writings are in my home, i was going to send them to Orzamarr but i figure as her closest living descendant you should have them"
PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Jan 7 2018, 02:44 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

Mari fell silent listening to Brim speak of his journey. He lost friends, some very close to him, and she knew it must have been difficult for him. They both lost a great deal this past year and it shaped them into who they were now.

"One day I'll have to go back." Mari graciously accepted the plate Brim offered and settled closer to the fire, closer to him. "You naming the Thaig Barraast must have raised a lot of brows." The Shaper remarked with a sad smile. Mari was in the dark about what explanation was given throughout Orzammar for her disappearance . She was sure there was plenty of assumption of what transpired since Farin had also mysteriously left the same time she did. Though her absence would have been more obvious given her role and status within the dwarven community the fact they were both gone wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

And Brim was forced to deal with that after she left. It explained why there was no fondness in his tone when Brim spoke of Orzammar and Mari felt responsible for that. It saddened her because it was their home, regardless of how much their families drove them crazy. She did this to him and the guilt made it hard to swallow. All these thoughts ruined her appetite and she started to pick at her food. "You kept Sarah's writings? I... thank you." Mari said softly, again taken aback by Brim's kindness.

"And thank you for this, for letting me come with you. I know this can't be easy for you but I've... missed this... I've missed you." She admitted before taking another sip of her ale, looking away to keep tears from welling. All of this was too much and she put the plate aside. Brim had always been her rock, when they were younger they were always there for each other. "You sure you still want me to come with to your surface Thaig?" Mari didn't want him to regret his decision. "I understand if you change your mind." She told him, wanting him to know that she wouldn't hold it against him.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Jan 7 2018, 10:18 PM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Brim tore a bit of nug and chewed on it thoughtfully. Would he regret it? Well that was the question wasn't it. Would he? He didn't look at Mari, just stared into the flames. "When you and ... when you left. the story went round the house like wildfire of course my mother demanded answers that i wouldn't give" He set his plate down and brushed his hands together. "I was summoned to the shaperatte and the first thing i wanted to do was initiate the dismantlement of our marriage" He reached under his jerkin and took the ring that sat on the chain. The same ring he had thrown to the floor in a fit of rage, "Your grandfather asked me to hold off for a year, he asked me to give it a year and if after that i still waned to do that then he would allow it to be entered into the memories. I agreed, not for you and not for Farin"

Brim knew that was going to sound harsh on her ears but, well she wanted the truth and she was going to get it, ugly as it was going to be. "I did it for your grandfather and my aunt, If it got out that my wife had run off with my bastard low born cousin it would have killed him and my aunts life would not have been worth living. she has to put up with enough from my mother, she didn't need that" He picked the plate up again and took another bite of meat although it was not as appetising as it had first been.

"You do not want to know the amount of fights i got into or the rumours that flew round the city, the looks of pity or the looks of laughter. you know as well as i do, with all good intentions you cannot keep a secret in Orzzamarr. besides apparently one of the legion saw you and Farin out in Kal Shirok somewhere so yeah, people figured you two had left together, but, i told them you left on your own accord, i didn't tell them the circumstances of it. i think the shame would have ruined your grandfather." Brim shook his head. "So i agreed to a year but five months maybe six Hiemdhall gave me this, he had been keeping it and er i just didn't file the request. Bit hard to cut that chord i guess" He tossed the nug into the flames and watched it hiss up. Brim put the ale to his lips "I told you Mari i still love you and i always will love you, but um yeah well, told you i forgive you for that shit. just not sure how long it will take me to trust you, as for the thaig it's up to you girl, I invited you because you deserve to know where your ancestor ended her days and the end of the story we discovered a few years ago" He shrugged a little and wiped the back of his hand across his eyes "Best get some rest. Its a good three weeks journey from here and er i'd rather not get eaten by a high dragon thanks, that your trademark"

PMEmail
^
Mari Baraast
 Posted: Jan 28 2018, 04:04 PM
played by Zyah
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Mari Baraast

It made her stomach knot to hear what Brim had to endure in Orzammar after she left. It was as she feared and there was no amount of apology that could make up for it. Mari became quiet and contemplated what Brim said. How he could still love her after all that she didn't know and she had to look away or else he'd see her eyes watering.

Mari hoped that one day they could salvage at the very least the friendship they once had. If he could ever trust her again only time would tell but Mari had no expectation. She didn't blame him for

"No more dragons, Brim." Mari muttered and lay back. For weeks she found it difficult to sleep so didn't expect to get much rest but having Brim there must have made a difference. The Shaper closed her eyes and the next thing she knew it was the waking hour. In fact she'd managed to sleep for nearly eight hours, far more than she was accustomed to. Rubbing her eyes she sat up and smiled at Brim next to her. "Morning." She murmured.

Two weeks later...

Mari was in a fit a laughter and couldn't stop. They had managed to get caught up in a tunnel of webs that took almost an hour to get past and by the time they got out Brim looked like he had his beard back... only white. "So thats what you'd look like old and proper." Mari grinned and pulled off the webs on her armor. "Cute. We only need to add the brows... some on the top..." Mari took the loose webs she gathered off her and put them on Brim as she spoke. "Perfect." Her eyes danced like jewels.

Their traveling together started off a bit quiet in the beginning but over the weeks they managed to relax with each other again and joking became regular. "Tell me, wise Helmi. Do we go left or right from here?" They had somehow missed their turn which explained how they got caught up in the abandoned spider nests.
PMEmail
^
Brim Helmi
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 02:31 AM
played by
Dwarf
w
a
s
d
Brim Helmi

Brim arched an eyebrow but let Mari have her fun, there would be payback later, this he knew and this she knew as well.

What a difference two weeks made. They started out with staggered conversations, then somewhere between a legion outpost and the road that led to Kal Hirol something had changed. Almost like a switch had been turned on and the pranks had started.

He wiped the webbing off his face and brushed them out of his hair. "Well, at least we know i will grow old gracefully" He grinned chuckling a little. This had been a shortcut he and Hiemdhal used on occasions, had to be careful round here though, abandoned though the nests were now, it might be a different story next time.

"This way oh padawan" he pointed left, glancing at the wall signs that his people had spent months putting up. "We are crossing into Nevarra now" that was the beauty of the Deep Roads, no one knew how far they stretched anymore but a good guess would be the length and breadth of Thedas.

He held Mari's hand a moment as they both moved through a gap in the wall and Brim glanced back at her "Still carry your book with you?" He asked and stepped to one side "I give you the Deep Roads as they used to look before the first Blight" he helped her through and showed her the only network of the Deep Roads he knew to be intact.

"Beautiful isn't it, glad i didn't go topside permanently now"

PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Closed
New Poll

skin created by miss texas. at caution 2.0.

affiliates table created by shimmer at shine.